Friday, June 23, 2006

Godspell

It's been one of my dreams for some time to produce the musical Godspell. I saw the show for the first time in high school and knew then that I wanted to be involved in it some day. In the past year, I have realized that I need to start putting feet to my faith and moving towards actually doing something with this vision.

Last night, Ryan and I ate chips and salsa with Kacey, whom we have asked to direct, and the three of us took baby steps towards making this dream a reality.

What does this have to do with discipleship?

Two things:
  • Artists need discipleship opportunities that are meaningful to them. Artists are often a difficult people to work with. I can say that fairly because I've been in the artist camp. However, they reflect and give voice to the creative characteristics of God, and we desperately need their voices in the church. Artists don't always fit into the discipleship boxes that we give them, and it is our spiritual responsibility as pastors and leaders to help them find environments where they can grow in and express their faith. I hope Godspell will be an excellent and entertaining production. But more importantly, I hope that it will be an opportunity for the actors and technicians involved to grow in their understanding and practice of Christian community and grow in their relationship with God.
  • Art is worship. All art is worshiping something, and the church needs to reclaim the arts for God and we need to help people reconcile art and faith. Some people will step over the line of faith and follow Christ as a result of Godspell. Perhaps they have heard the Word preached in one sense. But seeing the Gospel of Matthew in this form will allow them to hear the Word preached in yet another form. It's about communicating old truths in new ways.

2 Comments:

At 5:10 PM, Blogger David Zimmerman said...

I've never seen Godspell, but I've heard some of the music. I liked the punked out version of "Day By Day" on DC Talk's Jesus Freak album. I think it's great that you're working toward such an ambitious production. Our church does an Easter play every year (around Easter; go figure) that's an enormous amount of work, but you can watch people growing in their faith, watch people come alive as they practice their gifts in the context of the church, watch people receive the gospel in ways they've not received it in the past, watch a community of faith bond over a special experience, and if everything works out right, watch a pretty good play. Have fun!

 
At 1:39 PM, Blogger Heather Z said...

I'm a Barbara Nicolosi fan! :)

Hey David! Thanks for dropping in! There was also a great tribute to Gospell in Meet the Parents. Day by day by day by day.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home