Monday, February 06, 2006

Online Small Groups

We have a new experiment at NCC this semester-- online small groups. When the idea was first pitched to me, I was super skeptical. "Forsake not the assembling of yourselves together..." I had a fear that it would just be a substitute for real community. But I have changed my mind. I think it has the potential to be big for the Kingdom of God.

First of all, NCCers have crazy work and travel schedules. Every semester, I get an email from someone who is frustrated that there is no small group for them to attend because of their work demands. Online groups will allow those NCCers the opportunity to get connected and grow with fellow NCCers from wherever they are.

Secondly, we have lots of podcast listeners. Some of them are tuning in via podcast before visiting the church. If we can give them one more way to check us out, I think that's great.

Obviously, I am still a huge proponet of traditional small groups. And I would always encourage an NCC podcast listener to plug into a local church and a small group or ministry within that church. But if we can harness technology to help someone grow closer to Christ, I am all for trying it out.

Carpe Digital. Experiment On!

2 Comments:

At 8:55 PM, Blogger Joel said...

I wish you luck and will follow your progress.

I like seeing the (for lack of a better term) order of service. It sounds like music styles similar to the church I go to.

 
At 9:59 AM, Blogger Heather Z said...

Tyler- totally agree. After all, why would these folks be traveling so much if they didn't see the value of face-to-face communication?

I think that our online groups will serve two purposes: 1) filling a temporary need for crazy work scheduled people and 2) a side door to church small groups. Our online groups give interested people an opportunity to check us out online before jumping in. A lot of people check out NCC via our website or our podcast before ever visiting the church. We are just giving them the small group experience to check out a little bit, as well.

Elaine- I would be interested in knowing more about that website. Do you know the URL?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home