Monday, October 23, 2006

Moonpie Biography


I came down to my office tonight, and I found a gift waiting on my desk. A note from my favorite pastor and author simply read, "Had to get this for you when I saw it. Enjoy, Mark Batterson." Underneath was a book, Moonpie: Biography of an Out of This World Snack. I don't know how someone managed to write 182 pages about moonpies, but I'm looking forward to reading it (and trying out the recipes in the back!)

I don't remember when my strange fascination with moonpies began, but I love them. And in an attempt to share the joy, I occasionally throw them out to people in the middle of my sermons, retreat talks, leadership trainings, etc. Makes me feel like one of the Conde Cavaliers.

If you've never had a moonpie, go get one right now. Here are a few simple rules:
  • Get the REAL moonpies. The package that says "the original marshmallo sandwich" packaged by Chattanooga Bakery. Don't get the Little Debbie version or some other pathetic imitation.
  • For the greatest snacking experience, get the chocolate moonpie. Don't get the vanilla. And please, whatever you do, don't get the banana. They are gross.
  • Wash it down with an RC Cola. If you can't locate RC at your yankee store, then a regular coke will substitute okay.
  • The best place to find moonpies are at the gas station store. You health freaks ain't gonna find 'em at some organic or whole foods store.

3 Comments:

At 10:09 AM, Blogger Jill Wyman said...

I LOVE Moonpies Heather! :) They can also be found at your nearest Cracker Barrel!

 
At 10:44 AM, Blogger Heather Z said...

Good point, Elaine! Thanks for opportunity to offer a clarification.

In most instances, the use of the word "coke" would mean "any carbonated beverage." But in this particular context, I meant it in the most specific terms of Coca-Cola Classic. The one in the red can.

Of course, all true Southerners know that Coca-Cola Classic is the only "coke" worth drinking (with the exception of RC with the moonpie, of course!)

 
At 11:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heather, I felt so out of touch with you so I checked your blog. Glad to hear you are discussing Important Issues such as moonpies. Truthfully, I had my first one a couple weeks ago -- JoAnne was in Virginia Beach, we met in Richmond at a Cracker Barrel, and there they were, moonpies. I bought them. Ate one. Gave the rest away happily! Love you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home