Friday, August 24, 2007

Psalm 119:22

"Do not let them scorn and insult me, for I have obeyed your decrees."

"Them" refers to those proud people who disregard God's word. The Psalmist's prayer for such protection against his enemies is a theme running throughout this chapter- v.42, v.51, v.69, v.84, v.121, v.134, v.154, v.161. It makes me wonder exactly what was going on in his life when he wrote this. How often have I been scorned and insulted for following God's Word? Those are strong words. I've definitely encountered times when I was mocked or talked about or been left out of certain opportunities. But scorn and insult indicate a level of persecution that I don't often encounter much now that I work at a church. I need to "get back in the game" and start living outside the church bubble I've been in for the past 2 years. It's not a search for hurling insults; it's a commitment to be salt and light.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home