Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Boggle

We had an amazing Upward Bound retreat! I'm not sure I can put it into words right now, so I'll wait. Instead, I'll post about something completely stupid.

The Upward Bound leadership team- Chris, John, Amanda, Ryan, and me-- got into some fierce Boggle playing. When I came up with the word "flay," everyone but Ryan voted it down. When I explained the definition- to remove the skin-- they all said, "No, you are thinking of filet."

For the record, from Webster's dictionary:

flay: 1) to strip off the skin or surface of, 2) to criticize harshly, 3) lash

5 Comments:

At 12:20 PM, Blogger Elaine said...

Clearly, the worst part of that is that they were all wrong about the definition of "filet," which means to cut meat into filets, not remove the skin!
I would've let you have "flay." :)

 
At 12:39 PM, Blogger Patrick Sievert said...

oh... I was definitely thinking of the last two definitions...

 
At 7:40 PM, Blogger Jessica said...

I would have given it to you - and I'm an editor, so I would know if that's a word or not! You hold your ground! :-)

 
At 4:25 PM, Blogger David Russell said...

You should have flayed them for that.

 
At 8:17 AM, Blogger Heather Z said...

Yes, D Russ. I should have flayed them indeed.

Thanks to all for your overwhelming support! I'll be more than happy to play boggle with you any time!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home