Friday, December 21, 2007

What I'm Looking Forward To...What I'll Miss

I'm leaving for Oregon this weekend to spend Christmas with Ryan's family. When I arrived at work this morning, I had an email from Ryan's little brother, Josh, asking, "What kind of science do you want to do when you get here?" I love it! So...here are some things I'm looking forward to with my Oregon Christmas:
  • Doing science with Josh.
  • Watching movies with Josh.
  • Playing charades with Josh.
  • Meeting my niece, Alicia McKinley Strelow, for the first time.
  • Being in the great Oregon outdoors.
  • Shooting clay pigeons.
  • Staying in the loft in the barn. (Okay, it's actually the work shed or something like that, but it's more fun to say the loft in the barn, right?)
  • Snow
  • Papa Murphy's pizza. YUM!!!
  • The ridiculously huge tree in the Zempel house.
  • Trying to get everyone excited about LSU going to the National Championship!
And not to be a bummer or anything, but here are a few things I'll miss since I won't be in Mobile for Christmas this year:
  • Gran's cherry pie
  • Gran's pecan pie
  • Gran's chocolate pie
  • Dad's fried turkey. Oh yes, thank you Lord for Dad and his Fried turkey!
  • Mom's mac and cheese
  • ...is anyone seeing a theme here? Okay, moving away from food...
  • Seeing my cute little niece Eowyn Ruth McClure
  • Seeing absolutely every Mobilian I know in the Bel Air Mall on Christmas Eve
  • Watching football and movies with the family.
  • Watching dad fall asleep while people are unwrapping presents.
  • Watching Jim take 53.2 minutes to unwrap a single present.
  • Playing in the Christmas Ho-Ho Bowl (touch football) against the Mathews family. Okay, so we haven't done that in years, but it's such a wonderful memory!

6 Comments:

At 1:26 PM, Blogger "My lack of ethnocentricity denies my ethnicity." said...

Since we're also doing Christmas (although technically, it will be after New Year's) in the Great Northwest, there are also a few Southern/family things I'm missing. To solve that problem, 1) I had my dad ship me a country ham. It arrives today so I can start the 12-hour soaking then many-hour boiling process. Yum! 2) Mom sent me the recipe for MomMom's plum pudding so I can make my own.

Umm--large tree IN the Zempel house?

 
At 2:15 PM, Blogger Heather Z said...

Yeah-- the tree is over 15-feet high. Ryan tells me that one year it was a 21-footer. It's huge. They use a fishing pole to hang ornaments on it.

 
At 6:42 PM, Blogger Shannon said...

I am sad you won't be in Mobile but it sounds like you will have a good time in Oregon!

 
At 9:31 PM, Blogger "My lack of ethnocentricity denies my ethnicity." said...

Alright, here's how tired I am--honestly, I didn't even think "Christmas Tree"...I was thinking live tree growing in the house. Saw that once (where else--West Virginia)

Wow, it's time for vacation...

 
At 8:21 PM, Blogger regena sawyer said...

Any chance I could get that recipe for plum pudding?

 
At 12:57 AM, Blogger "My lack of ethnocentricity denies my ethnicity." said...

Regena--not sure if you'll see this, but e-mail me and I'll pass along the recipe.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home