Friday, September 26, 2008

Elephants in the Church


Last year, we launched a sermon series called "The Elephant in the Church" where we confronted obvious truths that we tend to ignore. We talked about alcohol, homosexuality, spiritual consumerism, hypocrisy, etc. The series was so successful and powerful that we are going to do it again this fall.

I've got to decide what Elephant to confront. I've got two ideas that are at the top of my list right now:
  • The Suffering Elephant- what happens when God's actions in your life don't seem to match his character and promises? How do we respond when bad things happen to good people?
  • The Holy Elephant- we have a tendency in the church today to parade our sin around in the name of "being authentic" when we are really just being sinful. What is the balance between transparency/authenticity and the holiness Jesus has called us to? What is the difference between legalism and holiness?
There are a few other ideas floating around my head, as well- integrity, complacency vs. contentment, materialism. And some doctrinal elephants- like the inerrancy/infallibility of Scripture, the dual nature (divinity/humanity) nature of Jesus.

If you've got a vote, let me know.

4 Comments:

At 12:46 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

I'm voting for the holiness one. Although the suffering one is a good one too. Ugh. I'm not much help. I'm a moderate remember :)

 
At 10:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I echo that vote - Holy Elephant!

 
At 3:01 PM, Blogger beniah said...

I'm voting for the holy elephant as well.

 
At 8:36 PM, Blogger infinite J.E.S.T. said...

I vote for holy also

 

Post a Comment

<< Home