Friday, May 01, 2009

The Energy of Urgency and Burden of Busyness

I woke up in the "6s" this morning (how John Hasler and I refer to early mornings) praying that my work today would flow from a sense of urgency but not busyness. Maybe it's a semantics issue, but I think there is a big difference between urgency and busyness. Urgency energizes me. Busyness drains me.

Urgency comes from a place of knowing that what we do is important, significant, and life changing. It emerges from a sense of purpose and a posture of playing offense.

Busyness comes from a place of disorganization, misplaced priorities, and changes only my life-- and that for the bad. It emerges from a lack of clarity of purpose and a posture of playing defense.

It seems to me that Jesus was urgent. He believed in his gut that the mission was important, and he was intentional and motivated by the idea that God's Kingdom could be established and the history of man changed. But he was never busy.

I want to minister out of the urgency of the Gospel, not the demands of busyness.

2 Comments:

At 3:40 PM, Blogger Christina Regule said...

I'm curious ... does reading a dissertation right before the defense rank as "energy of urgency" or "burden of busyness" for the field mentor dissertation committee member? On second thought, please don't answer that one! Talk to you Tuesday!

 
At 10:53 PM, Blogger Jeff said...

"I want to minister out of the urgency of the Gospel, not the demands of busyness."

That thought is going to stick with me this week! Thanks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home