Friday, April 24, 2009

Women's Retreats- Ugh

There are two words in the English language that I like and identify with- women and retreats. But when placed side by side and turned into the oft-dreaded experience of women's retreat, I begin to shudder. I'm not against women (obviously), and I'm not against retreating (though as a Southerner I prefer an advance, but that might sound cheesy). And I'm not against the concept of retreating with other women. I'm just against stereotypes and generalizations.

Let me back up. I'm becoming more and more convinced that my job is primarily about creating environments where connections and conversations can happen that lead to discipleship.

For a couple of years, Steph Modder and I have kicked around the idea of doing a women's retreat. In the beginning, I was motivated by a desire to create a women's retreat experience that would be loved by women who don't really like women's retreats. Hey- I love challenges. But I stopped the planning because I realized I needed a better primary motivation than that.

Now, I'm thinking that creating an environment for the women of NCC to connect might be something that is beneficial. Steph and I have timorously resurrected that conversation, and I'm just thinking out loud...wondering if it's worth pursuing...imagining what it would look like...ideas are welcomed...

5 Comments:

At 4:03 PM, Blogger danabrown said...

I love it! I would come. Have you heard of After Eve? They're not doing it anymore, but for a few years they had a "women's conference" that wasn't all that women's conferency. They talked about topics you'd never hear about on a Sunday morning. It was great!

But, I'm sure NCC can blow the lid off of AE!

 
At 3:07 PM, Blogger Lora said...

Do it, Heather! I would come for the sheer common bond of disliking those 2 words put together also. Maybe God could do something with our impure motives :)

 
At 2:47 PM, Blogger "My lack of ethnocentricity denies my ethnicity." said...

I think we were separated at birth.

 
At 7:27 AM, Blogger Lindsey said...

I think it's an awesome idea! I've been thinking we need something like that - But I agree, there are some stereotypical "women's retreat" vocabulary word descriptions that would be nice to avoid.

Love to help, let me know
lindseyaparker@gmail.com

 
At 11:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wondered what happened to that survey you sent out.....Please pursue this thought, this vision. I am starving to connect more on a woman to woman basis. Does that sound right??

Deb

 

Post a Comment

<< Home