Monday, April 20, 2009

Moments

In the fractured fairy tale Into the Woods, composer Stephen Sondheim contemplates the structure of life and the value of its moments. If life is the sum total of significant moments, then this week was full of life. The longer I work in this role called "pastor," the more I am thankful for the moments of life that I get to participate in, and I think that makes me more aware of the moments I am privileged to be a part of in my every day, walking around, non-pastor life. Here are just a few:
  • Two good friends-- tied together by common hearts and common passions-- are married.
  • Drinking coffee with an old friend- a young lady once trapped in same sex attraction, now happily married and expecting her first child.
  • Road trip- complete with walkie-talkies.
  • Going to a CD release concert of a musician who was told three years ago by four doctors that she would never sing again. Hope grabbed her and it has now grabbed all those around her.
  • Celebrating good job news with an NCCer.
Jesus was a master of recognizing, experiencing, and processing moments. Whether it was a woman gathering water at a well, or a woman caught in adultery, or a tax collector dangling from a tree limb, he made the moment count. How many moments do we pass every day without notice, without thankfulness, without learning. I'm trying to slow down to recognize, appreciate, and live in the moment.

2 Comments:

At 10:03 AM, Blogger Chris Sullivan said...

More than we should. Haven't quite figured out how to slow down and recognize all those opportunities yet though.

 
At 10:14 PM, Blogger Heather Z said...

I'm just in the beginning phases of learning how to celebrate Sabbath. I think that's part of it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home