Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Book List- Communication

In 2008, I focused on developing my communication skills. The books listed here reflect a wide variety of preaching philosophies, but I found them all to be helpful:

Communicating for a Change (Andy Stanley)
The Passion-Driven Sermon (Jim Shaddix)
Preaching and Teaching with Imagination (Warren Wiersbe)
The Supremacy of God in Preaching (John Piper)
Between Two Worlds (John Stott)
Speak Like Churchill, Stand Like Lincoln (James Hume, thanks for the recommendation Ben Arment)
He is Not Silent (Al Mohler)
Save the Cat (Blake Snyder- on screenwriting. And yes, that helped with sermon prep)
The Revolutionary Communicator (Jeff Medefind and Erik Lokkesmoe)
Finally-- good fiction. Shakespeare, Dostoyevsky, Twain, Potok, Tolkien, Lewis, Eliot, Hugo. I need to add L'Engle to the list. People that communicate truth through the power of story. I've been convicted that I need to read good stories so that I can tell good stories.

Preachers that were on my ipod: Andy Stanley, Matt Chandler, Mark Driscoll, John Piper, Perry Noble, Steven Furtick, Craig Groeschel, Chris Hodges, Dino Rizzo, Francis Chan, Larry Stockstill. And watch a lot of TED presentations.

Preaching and Preachers
by Lloyd-Jones and Lectures to My Students by Spurgeon are obviously missing from this list and will need to be included in the next round.

1 Comments:

At 4:11 PM, Blogger Theresa said...

Heather, Thank you so much for sharing your resources! I can't wait to start listening/watching the ones I don't currently know!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home