Wednesday, February 24, 2010

The Naming of Eve

Have you ever noticed when Eve receives her name? In the original "naming" of species, Adam simply refers to her as "woman"-- a rather sterile and generic moniker that merely describes her creation from the man. It is not until one chapter later, in Genesis 3:20, that Adam first calls her "Eve," "because she would become the mother of all the living."

This always strikes me as incredibly fascinating because Adam gives her this name after the Fall in the Garden. Of all the names he could have called her, he gave her one that signified redemption. Eve means "living," "life," or "to give life." Instead of naming her weakness, he named the God-created potential and purpose that remained within her despite her sin.

I'm so thankful for the men in my life who have "named" my potential and purpose. From a Granddaddy who believed in my gifts to a Dad who supported every crazy career path I have explored to an amazing husband who is my best friend, greatest advocate, and mischievous partner in crime. To godly mentors and pastors who have called out my gifts and given me ridiculous opportunities to experiment with them. To good peer friends who have served alongside me and grown toward God in small groups with me. Thank you.

Ladies-- we need to thank the men in our lives who have named our potential and purpose.

3 Comments:

At 2:49 AM, Blogger Lisa said...

I love this! Love your insights love you. miss you and your partner in crime too :)

 
At 4:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This blog post was such a blessing to my spirit. Thank you for sharing! I am going to go call my dad right about now! :)

 
At 5:44 PM, Blogger Theresa said...

I never thought about that (Eve's name)..thank you so much for sharing it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home