Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Deepening Community: Wesley Questions

John Wesley had a pretty hard-hitting approach to discipleship. In many small groups today, structuring the meeting time around the following questions would be frightening to many members. But if you want to challenge your people to deeper community and more focused discipleship, try these questions:
  1. Am I consciously or unconsciously creating the impression that I am a better person than I really am? In other words, am I a hypocrite?
  2. Am I honest in all my acts and words, or do I exaggerate?
  3. Do I confidentially pass on what was told to me in confidence?
  4. Can I be trusted?
  5. Am I a slave to dress, friends, work or habit?
  6. Am I self-conscious, self-pitying, or self-justifying?
  7. Did the Bible live in me today?
  8. Do I give God time to speak to me everyday?
  9. Am I enjoying prayer?
  10. When did I last speak to someone else of my faith?
  11. Do I pray about the money I spend?
  12. Do I get to bed on time and get up on time?
  13. Do I disobey God in anything?
  14. Do I insist on doing something about which my conscience is uneasy?
  15. Am I defeated in any part of my life?
  16. Am I jealous, impure, irritable, touchy, or distrustful?
  17. How do I spend my spare time?
  18. Am I proud?
  19. Do I thank God I am not as other people, especially as the Pharisees who despised the publican?
  20. Is there anyone I fear, or dislike, or criticize, or resent? If so, what am I doing about it?
  21. Do I grumble and complain constantly?
  22. Is Christ real to me?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home