Saturday, May 13, 2006

Taize and Other Stuff

I am working on a book about different pathways for experiencing Christ and growing closer to him. My premise is that the standard evangelical methods of personal Bible study and small groups are limiting and that we should expose ourselves to a wider array of spiritual growth opportunities. Additionally, we should recognize the discipleship value of certain things we are already doing (like missions trips and retreats) and seek to maximize that value in the ways that we approach them.

Here's what I need. I'm looking for people that have had experience with and would be willing to comment on any of the following experiences:
  • Taize
  • Stations of the Cross
  • Spiritual Formation Retreats
  • Pilgrimage
  • Corporate Fasting
  • Charistmatic Worship Services
  • Passion Worship Conferences, Catalyst Conferences, etc.
Additionally, I am particularly interested in hearing from folks from the evangelical camp who have had significant spiritual growth experiences in liturgical worship settings. And I'm interested in hearing from liturgical friends who have experienced significant spiritual growth in charismatic/pentecostal circles.

As I continue to work on my research, I will post more requests like this from time to time.

If you would be willing to share your thoughts on any of these, please use the comment thread or shoot me an email.

3 Comments:

At 11:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heather, I just discovered today that you've got a few sermons/talks on a podcast. What's the deal?? You're doing cool stuff like that and not even telling us?? I'll be listening to them soon! Excited about it!!

I think it'd be fun to have some of our kids respond to the whole Stations thing. Give me a little more direction as to what kinds of things would be helpful and I'll try to get some responses for you. Let us know how we can help. Miranda and I are praying for you guys. Steve

 
At 11:06 AM, Blogger Heather Z said...

Elaine- I will send you a list of questions. Would love to get your thoughts on Labyrinth.

Steve-- We will never be as cool as you and Miranda!! Y'all rock. I will send you guys some stuff, as well.

In general, here are the questions I have been asking. These are tailored to the Stations of the Cross, but just insert whatever activity you are addressing:

Did the Stations help you grow closer to God? How?

Did the Stations help you grow to be more like Christ? How?

Did the Stations help you grow in a unique way? , or, Did you experience growth through the Stations in ways that is not reflected in other forms of discipleship?

Do you think your experience with the Stations was a one-time thing, or will you find ways to incorporate it into your spiritual life again?

Would you recommend that other people include the Stations in their own personal devotional lives?

 
At 3:50 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

I attended Rhema Bible College Camp Meeting out in Tulsa, OK and experienced the Airport Vineyard Revival (as it was called in 1995) in Kentucky.

The first I experienced the spiritual laughter for the first time and the second split my college campus and the surrounding town into two camps - one saying the revival was of the devil and the other saying it was of God. I remember people barking like dogs in the service. Very interesting. I would be willing to discuss more.

I also have a pretty cool musing from Max Lucado regarding hymns and how they are still relevant and inspirational to us today.

Hasler - I would LOVE to hear about your Reinhard Bonnke experience. I was just thinking about him the other day in fact and wondered if he is still around and preaching.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home