Friday, May 12, 2006

Spiritual Growth Metrics

My good friend Elaine Bayless is an M. Div. candidate at Regent University, and she is developing a small group/discipleship program at the church where she is interning this summer. She sent me a question that I wanted to throw out to the Wineskins crowd:

I'm looking for ways to add measurability to my church's discipleship program. We' like to have some sort of assessment that people can use to see where they are and to monitor their growth on a regular basis. Aside from individual assessments, what are some other metrics we can use to monitor the spiritual growth of the congregation? We're a small church of about 120 people.

I would recommend Seacoast's Spiritual Growth Assessment Tool. Also, Todd Rhoades had a good post about this on Monday Morning Insight recently. You can check it out here. I posted something similar here.

Anybody else have recommendations?

3 Comments:

At 11:22 AM, Blogger Elaine B said...

I just went through the Seacoast assessment. That is very cool! I love that it's online.
Just going through Seacoast and NCC has shown me a couple of elements that might be missing from our own tools. However, I have to talk with the pastor and determine if he intentionally left those out.
Anyway, this is a great start!

 
At 3:01 PM, Blogger jh said...

well in a less practical way, i like the way that paul talks about maturation and wisdom in 1 corinthians 2... http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?book_id=53&chapter=2&version=51

this idea of slowly understanding God due to the presence of the Spirit- thus allowing our minds to be slowly transformed into Christ's.

i think one can see spiritual growth, through observing growing passion in people that is rooted through the slow accumulation of God-inspired wisdom-
when i think about my groups- i can see when a person hits a point that moves them out of the 'mere serving or wanting to learn about poverty and pains', and into a passion for justice due to God's heart that encaptures them... and most of the time, they don't even realize it happens-
because it is such a natural progression in their evolution to being completely sanctified...

*hasler

 
At 1:04 PM, Blogger Elaine B said...

I think that's a great point. One of the beautiful things about getting caught by God's passion is the slow but steady erosion of self-consciousness. Which, paradoxically, might make it harder for someone to self-evaluate their own spiritual growth.
I think this is why any "system" needs to depend on relationships: leaders can report on observed personal transformations, and can point out personal growth to their group members.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home