Sunday, February 18, 2007

Sermon Help


Alright, I need some help. We've just kicked off a new sermon series, Battle of the Sexes: How Both Sexes Can Win. You can read more about it here. Pastor Mark did a great job of framing the series this weekend, and over the next two weeks, we'll be talking about the unique challenges, opportunities, and responsibilities associated with our femininity or masculinity. Pastor Mark has dragged me into this insanity, so I'm on deck next weekend to talk about femininity.

This is such an important topic but one that is so often misunderstood. The world has given us one image of femininity while the church has given us a completely different image. To add to the confusion, the church has sent mixed messages to women throughout the years of what it means to be a woman of God.

As I prepare for this sermon, I'd really appreciate any input you might have, particularly on the following:
  • What does it mean to be a woman of God?
  • What are some of the unique challenges that women face?
  • What are some of the unique opportunities that women are given?
  • What are some of the unique responsibilities that women are given?
I think it would be great to start a conversation on the comment thread. But you are welcome to send me an email instead if you'd like to be anonymous.

2 Comments:

At 11:10 AM, Blogger Elaine said...

Oh, I can answer all 5 of these in 100 words or less... (I wish).
This is a HUGE topic - lucky you to get to "cover" it in a sermon.
I think a challenge women of God face today is reconciling their passions & talents with Biblical examples and church teaching on women. We don't talk enough about Deborah, Huldah, Rahab, and we talk too much about Paul's opinions about women talking in church. We don't talk enough about Genesis 1:27 & 2:18-25, and we talk too much about Genesis 3:16 and Paul's idea of headship. I believe we need to be striving for reconciliation and Christ's freedom for both genders rather than some new definition of gender roles. Men who are truly masculine can appreciate strong independent women, and women can be strong and independent and 100% feminine.
I believe that the best way to learn about my femininity is to pour myself into God - God will not only teach me how to be a woman, but will teach me how to be ME. As I grow into God's vision of me, as I become the woman God created me to be, I naturally become the feminine ideal that God had in mind.
Don't know if this is helpful, but it's my first set of ramblings!

 
At 4:15 PM, Blogger Heather Z said...

Thanks for your thoughts, Elaine. This is very helpful.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home