Saturday, July 28, 2007

Psalm 119:8

"I will obey your principles. Please don't give up on me."

You can hear the desperation in the Psalmist's voice. It's like he's been building his case for the importance of obeying God, and as he pronounces his confession of obedience, he is also faced with his own shortcomings-- please don't give up on me-- I'll get there-- be patient-- I can't do it on my on. This is one of my favorite verses in the whole chapter-- I'll follow you because I know it's best, but I know I don't always do that perfectly, so please don't give up on me!

It reminds me of something I said yesterday: "I understand that I am responsible for what I teach and will be judged accordingly-- so help me God." I made a bold statement that I know I cannot fulfill on my own. Faced with my inability, I pleaded to God for help. I and my teaching are subject to your judgment-- please don't give up on me!

The NIV and the NASB say, "Do not forsake me." It's the same word used in Psalm 38:21: "Do not forsake me, O LORD; O my God, do not be far from me!" and in Psalm 71:18: "And even when I am old and gray, O God, do not forsake me, until I declare Your strength to this generation, Your power to all who are to come."

We've got a job to do. It's to declare the strength of God to this generation. Ultimately, that won't come from our innovation, our creativity, or our outreach methods. While I'm all for innovation and communicating the Gospel in a language that is understandable to those around us, our success in declaring the strength of God to our generation will ultimately be the result of our dedication to the Truth of the Word of God and our obedience to its principles.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home