Sunday, July 29, 2007

Psalm 119:9

"How can a young person stay pure? By obeying your word and following its rules."

There is a pattern emerging here, isn't there? Obeying God's Word, following his rules, keeping his commands, learning his principles-- seems to be the answer for everything, huh? There is a tendency for me to become very tired or legalistic when trying to comprehend and apply that. But...

This verse emphasizes a point that I learned early on in my youth group days. The laws of God are not given to us to kill our fun; they are given to us to protect us. When we understand that God's precepts are a gift of his grace-- to give us the life he designed us for and to lead us to the grace he offers us-- then we step out of legalism and into freedom. It's a mystery.

In this verse, the Message refers to the Word of God as a map. So many young people are searching for their "purpose" in life and the "meaning" for their existence. Go to the Scriptures! We only understand our story when we see it against the backdrop of His Story. But it's not just about knowing the Scriptures; it's about living life with the Scriptures as my map. It reminds me of 2 Timothy 2:5, "And athletes cannot win the prize unless they follow the rules." God gives us his Word because he wants us to win. He wants us to live in a way that is pure, holy, and abundant.

2 Comments:

At 9:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK - not quite 30 days later, and I finally got time to get your blog added to my rss feeds! I'm glad I did - let's continue the conversation we briefly started at Buzz!

 
At 4:28 PM, Blogger Heather Z said...

Hey Kathy! Absolutely! Would love to talk discipleship and small groups with you. Hope all is well at GCC!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home