Sunday, August 03, 2008

Newfoundland Day 6

Last day in Newfoundland, and my alarm was set for 4:30am. I wanted to make one last attempt at seeing the sunrise at Cape Spear. But the hotel fire alarm beat my clock when it started blaring at 3:55am, which meant I didn't oversleep for the sunrise but I got just shy of 150 minutes of sleep last night. So I'm pooped. If this post doesn't make sense, that's why.

5:00am. Cape Spear. The most easterly point in North America. We finally saw a sunrise. Sort of. We'll call it that anyway. Why were we so focused on seeing that sunrise? Because standing on the tip of Cape Spear means that we are the first to see the sun rise in North America.



After that, we headed back downtown for breakfast, and I had some fantastic fish cakes at Bagel Cafe. Yum!

Then, we headed over to the old Pepperrell Air Force Base where my Granddaddy was stationed from 1952 to 1958. My mom showed me all her old haunts.

And then we headed up to the battery to look at the houses built on the rock.

Tire Update
After poking around the old base, we returned back to the hotel for a few moments for mom to make a pit stop. On the elevator ride, she ran into a woman who claimed she had been up all night trying to change out a rental car that had a flat tire. My mom asked, "Budget?" And indeed, it was. That means that the Budget Rental Car had four...count that FOUR cars with flat tires yesterday. And it gets better. The car that they finally gave her today was the Grand Prix that gave us TWO flat tires yesterday. The comedy never ends.


From there, back to Cape Spear to hike around and tour the lighthouses.





Then, we went to a new Art Gallery and Museum called The Rooms. Really cool building and exhibits. Though the Graeme Patterson Woodrow exhibit left me intrigued but completely befuddled.

Now, it's back to the hotel to pack up, get some sleep, and prepare for the trip home. It's been a great week!

2 Comments:

At 6:23 PM, Blogger David Russell said...

Newfoundland looks awesome!

 
At 8:17 AM, Blogger Will Johnston said...

Glad to hear you had such a good time!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home