Sunday, September 06, 2009

Communion



Today, we continued the series Figuratively Speaking, and I talked about the Parable of the Great Feast. It just seemed right to celebrate communion in the middle of the sermon, so that's what we did.

We used a video element to guide people through a reflection and examination time. 1 Corinthians tells us we must examine ourselves before taking communion. I used to think that meant going through a spiritual checklist to make sure I confessed every single sin I could think of before coming into communion. But I'm not so sure anymore. The Scripture says we should examine ourselves so we don't dishonor the body of Christ. With that in mind, I think it has more to do with seeing ourselves in light of the grace of God than in trying to clear the air between us and Jesus. I think it's about recognizing we are at the table not because of who we are or what we've done...but because of who he is and what he has already done for us.

Jesus has invited us to his table...where he feasts with those who are broken, bruised, dirty, burdened with baggage.

The communion video we used was created for the new Sacred Roads curriculum, and you can obtain it at threadsmedia.com.

4 Comments:

At 5:27 PM, Blogger joesokol said...

I think the video was perfect in the context of the lesson and timed just right. Christ was with us at Kingstowne during this service.

 
At 3:34 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Encountering God should be part of the normal Christian life. But sometimes we have such a collision with Him or His word that you just know it's going to be a life changing encounter. This sermon was one of those for me. Thanks Heather. Such important topics. And so life-giving. Everyone should listen to this sermon at www.theaterchurch.com

 
At 7:25 PM, Blogger Theresa said...

Heather, No words can express my feelings at this moment.

 
At 7:27 PM, Blogger Nate said...

"I used to think that meant going through a spiritual checklist to make sure I confessed every single sin..."

I'm not sure why, but the church I grew up in would also throw in Matthew 5:23-24 every time we took Communion:

"Therefore, if you are offering your gift at the altar and there remember that your brother has something against you, leave your gift there in front of the altar. First go and be reconciled to your brother; then come and offer your gift."

I used to do the same thing as you; I used to sit there and wrack my brain for everything that I did wrong. Then, when I was in high school a friend pointed out that it said, "If you remember..." Communion is a time of reflecting on God, not self-reflection. Communion isn't meant to instill guilt, but joy at the amazing grace that Jesus has shown us.

Basically, exactly what you said :-). I just thought it was cool that we had different paths at arriving at the same conclusion.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home