Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Far-Reaching Roads


The New Jersey Turnpike turned into a sacred road today. This morning, I hauled suitcases, hiking packs, and two dear friends into a borrowed truck and drove four hours to the Newark Airport. My friends had a flight to catch, and I believe it was an appointment with destiny. They are heading now to South Asia where they will work to combat human trafficking. These idealistic 20-somethings are crazy enough to actually believe God is serious when he says, "Seek justice, rescue the oppressed, defend the orphan, plead for the widow" (Isaiah 1:17) And crazier still, they are willing to invest their law degrees, their talents, and their lives into that search for justice. Pray for them.

After sharing some hugs and high fives, I walked back to my car. My eyes swelled with a salty liquid and my heart swelled with pride for my friends. I was overwhelmed by the joy of doing ministry at NCC and humbled at the opportunity to be a part of events like today. But it's only one story of many. They are not the only NCCers who are wandering down far-reaching roads. On Monday, another incredible NCC leader heads to Ethiopia. The Monday after that, another NCC leader flies to the Democratic Republic of Congo. They are all going in different roles and capacities, but all are going with one ultimate goal-- to see God's name glorified in their lives.

They are willing to journey down far-reaching roads to fulfill the calling of God in their lives and spread the Gospel in their generation. I want their lives to inspire mine. Sometimes, going down a far-reaching road does not have to be geographically far at all. Maybe it's going down a far-reaching cultural road to build some new friendships in my neighborhood. Maybe it's venturing down a far-reaching spiritual road to enter into conversation with someone far from God. I want to turn the roads that I walk every day into sacred roads because my feet are carrying the Gospel of peace (Ephesians 6:15) to the world I encounter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home