Friday, April 02, 2010

What is Truth?

John's Gospel gives us a detailed account of Jesus' interaction with the Roman governor Pontius Pilate. When asked about his identity, Jesus answered, "For this purpose I was born and for this purpose I have come into the world-- to bear witness to the truth. Everyone who is of the truth listens to my voice." Pilate said to him, "What is truth?" (John 18:37-38)

And then Pilate turned around and went to the crowd to seek their opinion.

What is truth? It seems Pilate doesn't even stick around for an answer. In exasperation, he sighs what he thinks is a rhetorical question in the face of the one who is Truth incarnate. What is truth? And he turned around to seek the opinion of the crowd. What would have happened had Pilate lingered one more moment and stared Truth in the face?

Where do we turn for truth? What would it look like for us to stand eye to eye with Truth today?

2 Comments:

At 10:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good word. It's tough to stand face to face and actual stay there long enough.

 
At 8:58 AM, Blogger Leo Lestino said...

Truth is such a hard thing to struggle with, but I often think of what God said about us and Truth in Psalms 51:6:

"Behold, you desire truth in the inward parts: . . ."

He wants truth to be part of our very being. To be a lover of Christ is to be a lover of truth.

Yet, I know that I don't always love truth. I know that sometimes I would rather live with the deception than come face to face with the truth.

I pray that I become more and more the lover of truth that God wants me to be.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home