Monday, May 03, 2010

Making Heroes

I don't remember which speaker at the Orange Conference said it...and that bothers me because I would love to give credit for this one...but someone encouraged us to make heroes out of other people.

I love that.

I'm convinced that a dimension of leadership is to help others discover who God created them to be and to succeed at that. A dimension of leadership is to help others fulfill their God-given destinies. If we look at Scripture, this principle can be seen in a number of places-- Elijah mentored Elisha, and Elisha performed double the miracles of Elijah. Barnabas took Paul under his wing, and Paul became an apostle, missionary, pastor, and prolific theologian and writer. Barnabas also took a young guy by the name of John Mark under his wing when others had given up on him. That kid went on to write the Gospel of Mark. Paul poured his life into young pastors like Timothy and Titus. They made heroes out of others.

That's a worthy life and ministry goal-- to make heroes out of other people.

2 Comments:

At 4:09 PM, Blogger Ms. Genevieve said...

You do this every day Pastorfriend (tm).

 
At 9:29 AM, Anonymous Janet Maccubbin said...

I think it was Dan Webster in Transformational Leadership. His notes are on my blog at http://frontporchliving.wordpress.com/
under "Orange Day 2"

I really enjoyed your session on Messy Communities and learned a lot. I am looking forward to learning more from NCC. Take care, Janet Maccubbin

 

Post a Comment

<< Home