Friday, March 16, 2007

Book Review: Confessions of a Pastor


The more I read from Craig Groeschel, the more I like him. I read Chazown about a year ago, so I was thrilled when I got Confessions of a Pastor. This book is a quick read (I read it in one day) and it is authentic. Craig tells it like it is and doesn't hold back. He's a real guy sharing his real struggles, hopes, failures, and victories, and that's why I identify with him. But more importantly, he shoots straight about what God expects of us. That's why I like him.

Revolving around 10 confessions, this pastor of LifeChurch.tv pours out his own struggles and challenges all of us to stop hiding behind spiritual masks and start becoming the people God has created us to be. I wasn't really blown away by the book, and I didn't make many underlines or comments in the margin (which is typically an indication that I've really enjoyed the book). However, the author invites us into his life in a way that is simultaneously grace-giving, truth-giving, and challenging. Reading this book was more like an honest conversation with a friend than a lecture of important details to remember or a set of pithy sound-bytes to highlight and live by.

Personally, I found the chapters on loneliness, inadequacy, and criticism particularly helpful.

One of the quotes that I identified with the most was, "I had become a full-time minister and a part-time follower of Christ."

I was expecting this book to be written primarily to pastors. While it certainly comes from a pastoral perspective and highlights some of the unique challenges that pastors face, this book shoots straight to everyone-- pastors, lay leaders, and committed Christ-followers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home