Monday, July 09, 2007

Adventures in Alabama: Fried Dill Pickles

Ryan and Heather enjoying Shannon's Fried Dill Pickles

My regular readers know of my love for fried dill pickles. Yum. I first discovered them at Cock of the Walk restaurant as a youngster in Mobile, and Ryan and I delighted (or horrified, in some cases) our dearest friends and family by serving them at our rehearsal dinner. The beloved Cock of the Walk restaurant was blown away by the Hurricane, so I have to find new venues for this wonderful appetizer.

My good friend Shannon Simmons had read of my anticipation and excitement and made them for us on Sunday night. Shannon has been a friend since the summer between freshman and sophomore year of high school when we met in Health/Driver's Ed in summer school. Over the course of that summer, I shared with her the plot of Phantom of the Opera and she shared with me her love of Les Miz, and our friendship was cemented. She's built an impressive resume as pianist extraordinaire (she was playing Rachmaninoff before we were old enough to spell it), versatile musical theatre performer (from Eve to Fruma Sarah), Miss University of Mobile, and even Azalea Trail Maid.

Here is Shannon's recipe: All I do is mix some eggs and milk together, dip the dill pickle slices in that, and then throw them in some Zatarain's Fish Fry (southern crispy style) and then deep fry in a fry daddy.

**Heather's note: you want to use dill pickle slices-- the flat round kind like you put on burgers, not the pickle spears. That would be gross.

Thanks for the pickles, Shannon. And come visit-- I mean move to-- DC soon!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home