Monday, July 09, 2007

Adventures in Alabama: Yankees in Fort Morgan

Ryan and Heather at Fort Morgan

Fort Morgan overlooks Mobile Bay and was attacked by the Yankee army in 1864 when Admiral Farragut sailed his wooden navy into Mobile Bat. It's a kid's paradise of steep stairs, cannons, batteries, dark and deserted bunkers and storage rooms.

Ryan had never been to Fort Morgan, and I always believe it's productive to immerse him into Southern history and heritage. So we went.

Halfway through our tour, I realized I was wearing a Yankees cap. I have no idea why I would wear a Yankees cap to Fort Morgan. It's sacrilegious, disrespectful, and just plain stupid. Southerners take this stuff seriously.

1 Comments:

At 9:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Should've stopped by to see Aunt B and Uncle Eddie while you were at Fort Morgan. They would have taken you fishing! Or had you babysitting all the grankids who were there for the 4th.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home