Friday, July 20, 2007

Psalm 119:4

"You have charged us to keep your commandments carefully."

I'm one week into this new discipline of blogging through Psalm 119, and one of the things that I love the most about it is that I wake up thinking about the verse for that morning. The word that popped out to me in verse 4 was the word "carefully." We are charged not only to keep the commandments, but to keep them carefully. The New American Standard says that we are to keep them "diligently." The NIV says we are to "fully obey" them.

To keep the commandments, we must know them. To know them, we must read the Word of God. To keep them carefully, we must desire to know God himself. I think intentionality is the key. As with any relationship, you have to be intentional about growing it. For me to keep the commandments carefully, I need to be intentional about spending time with God in his Word, spending time with God in prayer, and spending time with God in the community of the Body of Christ.

1 Comments:

At 2:15 PM, Blogger Elaine said...

I was convicted a couple of years ago that if I really wanted to understand Scripture - and be able to interpret Scripture by Scripture - I needed to be reading the Bible, the WHOLE Bible, on a regular basis. This is my second year of reading through the whole Bible in a year, and already, with just 1.5 read throughs, I find my in-depth Bible study and understanding to be so greatly improved! I think the discipline of reading all the Bible (even, groan, Leviticus and Job), is a big part of being able to follow God's commandments carefully!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home