Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Would You Read This? (Engineering and Discipleship)

I played around with some writing this weekend, and I've got a couple ideas that I'm going to start pounding away at. One idea was to juxtapose my environmental engineering background with discipleship. In book form, it would look something like this:

Chapter 1: Properties of Materials (Understanding individuals and how they engage in the discipleship process; moving away from mechanization and towards individualization in how we design discipleship systems)

Chapter 2: Everything is an Experiment (Moving from theoretical to practical and from classroom to real life; allowing for creative discipeship ideas to explode out of the classroom into the laboratory and out into the real world of life)

Chapter 3: Bioreactors (Identifying optimal parameters and catalysts for spiritual growth)

Chapter 4: Synthesis and Design (Developing a plan for discipleship that is non-mechanical, experimental, Biblical, and spiritual; putting it all together)

Would anybody read that?

5 Comments:

At 3:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe, but some of those words start reminding me of the assigned texts in my seminary courses. Mechanization, optimal parameters... I understand what your saying, but how your saying it might not connect.

That said, I LOVE the concept for chapter 2!!! This is a great idea... keep wrestling with it. Good ideas never come easy.

 
At 4:04 PM, Blogger Heather Z said...

Thanks for the feedback, Drew. That's really helpful and insightful. Mechanization and optimal parameters were all words coming out of engineering texts for me (instron machines to determine physical stress properties, biokinetics to determine chemical catalysts, etc) -- I thought I was introducing new words to the discipleship discussion; not old ones! :) (I've not been to seminary)

Maybe I need to move on to my next juxtaposition: Spiritual Growth and Government.

 
At 5:38 PM, Blogger travis spencer said...

I agree with Drew on the vocab. But the concept is great.
You need someone to review it when it's in final stages? Give me a shout.
-travis

 
At 5:33 PM, Blogger Mary Abigail said...

Are you kidding? I'd read any book you wrote, girl. Even if I didn't understand it! :)

 
At 7:11 PM, Blogger Brian said...

Let me first say that I have a degree in TV from Auburn. So, take my words for their lack of worth. I'm with Drew. I think that your middle two chapters are the most critical pieces to the book. While I might change the wording of the third chapter, I think that your focus is what will be most helpful for churches.

I have found that there are models for everything that anyone would want to do. Solomon was right. However, most churches simply run programs to either act busy or gain members. What most churches (at least in Alabama) miss is that the goal is creative ministry that God uses.

If the Holy Spirit inspires a church to understand the importance of experimentation and understand the "bioreactors" that affect the people of their area, I think that synthesis and design will be a no brainer.

In other words, inspire us. Everybody has a program for us to run.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home