Friday, February 29, 2008

questions

I'm starting a new series on this blog: questions. It's not capitalized because it's certainly not exhaustive and I'm not even sure the questions I will present are the most important. But I've done a couple of conference sessions on building small group ministries, and I'm convinced that the most valuable content I provide is the question list I give to participants to develop their philosophy of groups or to re-evaluate why and how they are doing groups. People tend to implement small groups without ever thinking through "why" and "how."

Here's the whole list:
  1. Why are you doing groups? What mission or purpose do you hope groups will fulfill in your church?
  2. What is your philosophy of community? What is your philosophy of discipleship? How do you expect groups to facilitate and promote community and discipleship within your congregation?
  3. What is your culture?
  4. Do you expect every church member to be in a group?
  5. What role will the lead pastor play?
  6. How will the groups grow?

1 Comments:

At 11:06 AM, Blogger Barry Hughes said...

I'll be giving this some thought. These are great questions. Here is just a response to #1.
Why are you doing groups? We're doing groups because we decided the best place for the people in our church to be is in community. Not in a class.

What mission or purpose do you hope groups will fulfill in your church? We hope to build a community of groups to reach our community.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home