Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Preaching Thoughts From Wiersbe

I'm reading a great book titled Preaching and Teaching With Imagination by Warren Wiersbe. I'm sure I'll blog on it more when I've finished, but for now, I wanted to share a few nuggets from the first section.

"We have forgotten that the bridge between the mind and the will is the imagination, and that truth isn't really learned until it's internalized. 'The purpose of preaching,' wrote Halford Luccock, 'is not to make people see reasons, but visions.'"

"In our noble attempt to be Biblical preachers, we have so emphasized the analytical that we've forgotten the poetic. We see the trees waving their branches, but we hold the branches still, examining them scientifically, leaf and twig, and all the while fail to hear the trees clapping their hands to the glory of God."

And my personal favorite:

"Nobody ever goes to church to find out what happened to the Hittites."

3 Comments:

At 9:48 PM, Blogger evan said...

sounds like an interesting book.

 
At 5:50 AM, Blogger Elaine said...

I love that book! It was one of my "keepers" from the huge stack of school books that I have.

 
At 7:03 AM, Blogger Ruth said...

Heather, thanks for the tip. Have you read any Barbara Brown Taylor? She's an Episcopalian, known for a poetic preachinig style. "The Preaching Life" is a good book, with thoughts about preaching, and some sermons.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home