Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Andy Stanley on God's Will

One of my goals this year is to grow as a communicator, and one of the things I'm doing is listening to podcasts of preachers and communicators that I really respect.

Andy Stanley is on that list, and one of the things I love about his style is his ability to craft memorable message points. When someone walks out of a sermon, it's impressive if they remember one or two points. Andy's gift is designing and word-smithing a point that sticks.

I just listened to Part 1 of his Discovering God's Will series in which he talked about our sometimes insincere prayers to hear the will of God for our lives. He asserts that we often want to hear God's voice when we are not ready to act on it and obey it; rather, we simply want to add God's thoughts to the rest of the opinions we are considering. He summed it up this way: "God does not give information for consideration or contemplation but for cooperation."

That point will stick.

2 Comments:

At 6:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heather, if your looking to sharpen the stickiness factor of your points, consider picking up "Made to Stick." It has a few ideas that are worth considering, even though it isn't a 'ministry' book.

 
At 9:44 AM, Blogger Heather Z said...

Thanks, Drew! I've not read it. I read Tipping Point a few years back that talks about stickiness, but I'll have to check this one out, as well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home