Friday, February 22, 2008

The Passion Driven Sermon

One of my goals this year is to grow as a communicator, so I'm listening to podcasts and reading books that I hope will stretch, challenge, and equip me. I recently completed The Passion Driven Sermon by Jim Shaddix.

His book focuses on expository preaching; NCC preaching tends to be more topical and narrative. I'm intentionally exposing myself to some methods and models that are different from my own. So there were certainly things that he wrote that I question or don't particularly agree with (again...humbly recognizing that about 97% of what I believe is probably wrong!), but there were some really great principles I pulled from it:
  • The Glory of God should be our goal in preaching.
  • Pray your sermon text.
  • Showcase the Scriptures in the sermon
  • Some messages are worth repeating over and over again.
  • The burden of preaching should scare me big time (that's a paraphrase)

1 Comments:

At 11:42 PM, Blogger Josh said...

A thing I noticed, is that almost every book you read has a similar picture on the cover.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home