Thursday, May 08, 2008

Desperation

In The Supremacy of God in Preaching, John Piper said, "All genuine preaching is rooted in a feeling of desperation." At a recent zone leader meeting, Pastor Mark said, "Our greatest sin may be the lack of urgency in everything we do."

A holy desperation and a holy urgency are what I need. Not practicing and improving my gifts, as I blogged about yesterday, is a manifestation of the lack of urgency and lack of desperation in my life. If I truly believed what I preached, I don't think I would pray as little as I do. If I truly believed what I preached, I wouldn't read the Bible as superficially as I do. If I truly believed what I preached, I wouldn't settle for pseudo-community. If I truly believed what I preached, I would intentionally ask the Holy Spirit to help me see where he is at work in the lives of every person I encounter and view every conversation as an opportunity to point people to Christ. I don't mean in the Bible-beating or "the end is near" or 2-question test kind of way. But in the way of being the salt and light that Jesus described where we ignite a holy curiosity in people.

Lord, stir up in me a holy discontent.

1 Comments:

At 3:25 PM, Blogger Elaine said...

Reading your post is a contrast for me in that I'm experiencing quite a lot of desperation right now. There's so much sickness and suffering around me that I could very easily get overwhelmed, and while most of it is within my church, none of it is in my own life.
Anyway - seek that holy discontent. Go for it! I think that's part of sharing in Jesus' sufferings.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home