Sunday, June 22, 2008

Fireside Chat: Dave Buehring

Dave Buehring closed the Fireside Chat with the Fathers of the Faith Event with a blueprint for moving ahead. He identified 12 different Domains of culture in which we need to expand the Kingdom of God, including:
  • Family- social services, adoption, family-life counseling, etc.
  • Church and Missions
  • Government and Law
  • Education and Students
  • Media- electronic, print
  • Arts, Entertainment, and Sports
  • Business and Commerce
  • Science and Technology
  • Environment and Agriculture
  • Health and Medicine
  • Military and Nation-Security
  • Non-profits and Service Organizations
There was so much good stuff packed into his presentation (complete with information-packed powerpoint slides) that it was hard to take comprehensive notes. Here are some nuggets and tough questions:
  • How much purposeful activity- with deliberateness and intentionally- am I investing in personally growing as a disciple of Jesus and making disciples with in my sphere of relationships and influence?
  • When we preach on Sunday morning, we get to address every sector of society- government, arts, entertainment, academia, etc. Don't just preach to them. Equip them.
  • When you commit to being a disciple-maker, you have to change your priorities.
  • Making disciples should be a reference point to everything else you do. When we get up in the morning, we should approach life with the awareness that our ultimate purpose is to make disciples.
  • When people come to Christ, we need to implant in them the multiplication chip. We have started a come and sit system. Instead of going and doing, we like sitting and listening. Let's turn people from sitters and listeners to goers and doers.
  • Teach, demonstrate, replicate.
  • The teacher has not taught until the student has learned. If they don't get it, don't complain about them. Pour your life into them until they get it.
  • We need to be like Barnabas- he was willing to let Paul pass him by. Be a leader who is willing to train up leaders better than you. Let people pass you by.
  • Who are you pouring your life into?
  • Where is God most changing me right now?
  • Glorifying God means enhancing God's reputation in the eyes of others.

3 Comments:

At 11:47 AM, Blogger Peggy said...

Heather,
Thank you so much for posting such great notes from this conference. I have read them and re-read them! I appreciate the investment of time you made to share this wisdom and experience with us.

 
At 8:46 PM, Blogger Jeff said...

Heather!

Just found out about your blog! Looks cool!

I have a question for you. You're a busy, so literally, anything you can tell me will help:

I am youth minister in the United Methodist church. However, I believe God may be calling me to plant a church and to preach. The United Methodist church will not ordain me because of the seminary I attend (too conservative). I am thinking about changing denominations...but I am clueless...any pointers...any blogs...any books...any steps...you can give me???

NCC inspires me...how do you guys become "interdenominational"?

I love the podcast! You are a great preacher!---Jeff

 
At 9:18 AM, Blogger Heather Z said...

Hey Jeff-

thanks for stopping by the blog. Shoot me an email and I'll answer your questions offline. Might be easier that way!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home