Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Life Accomplishments List


This is brilliant. Why haven't I ever done this before? In the midst of all of my goal setting lists, stop doing lists, semester growth plans, etc., I have never stopped to record what I've already experienced. Bekah Kitterman (whose list at 24 reads like some peoples' life goals lists) calls hers a catchy "Been There, Done That" list. I can't use that phrase because it carries a negative connotation to me-- like-- I'm never going there again. "Life Accomplishments" sounds too sterile and formal, but I can't come up with a better word right now. I'm thinking. If you have any ideas, let me know.

Throughout the Bible, God instructs his followers to erect monuments and establish holidays to remember and celebrate His hand in their lives. What good does it really do us to have goals when we don't celebrate what's already happened? Life goals are not simply about boxes to be checked off but about prayers that have been answered. And for that we need to give thanks. Writing a Life Accomplishments list is similar to what God's people did in the Old Testament-- building a monument to remember and celebrate the hand of God in our lives.

The altars and the celebrations of the Bible also reminded the people of who they were in God. The rites of passage of Hebrew children taught them to celebrate who God had created them to be. Writing a Life Accomplishments list brought to the forefront of my mind some areas of my life that I have neglected and need to re-engage because it's part of who God created me to be. Some new life goals emerged for me from my Life Accomplishments List.

3 Comments:

At 1:14 PM, Blogger Sharon Simon said...

Heather, I love this post. I organize mine in the "theme" of Journeys.

1. Greatest Destinations- where I have been, what I have accomplished, or moments I cherish

2. Character Building Journeys- Stuff that I have been through that I am grateful for...Now.

3. Journeys in Progress- Stuff I am working on but haven't yet accomplished

4. Future Journeys- Stuff that I want to accomplish, I just don't have the time or resources right now, or it's not yet high enough on the priority list.

5. Dream Journeys- Stuff that I would do, have, enjoy, or do for/with others if time and money were not an issue. This is the more "outlandish stuff."

David and I review our lists at the end of each year in order to celebrate, focus, and connect with our joint priorities. It always amazes me what moves from the "Journeys in Progress" or "Future Journeys" to "Greatest Destinations."

 
At 1:57 PM, Blogger Heather Z said...

Sharon- thanks for the comment! I really like the Journey categories. Those are great ways to categorize. Great stuff!

 
At 9:31 AM, Blogger Dennis Bourne said...

How about the Awesome Stuff I've Done List?

Heard about this post from Brandt, really glad you shared it.

Thanks,
Dennis

 

Post a Comment

<< Home