Monday, June 01, 2009

Bring Your Own Sacrifice

I'm only two verses into Leviticus, and I'm already convicted.

The Lord called to Moses from the Tabernacle and said to him, "Give the following instructions to the Israelites: Whenever you present offerings to the Lord, you must bring animals from your flocks and herds."

Bring your own animals. From your flocks and herds. From the work of your own hands, the investment of your own time. Bring your own sacrifice.

First of all, I'm extremely thankful that I do not have to go out to my flocks today to look for a spotless bull or goat. How long did it take them to go through the process of selecting a sacrifice? What if we invested just a fraction of that time thanking Jesus for his ultimate sacrifice?

And while we are no longer required to bring a sacrifice to atone for our sin and set right our relationship to God, we are still asked to bring sacrifices of worship. When do I rely on others to bring my sacrifice? Whether in worship, prayer, community, etc. Am I sacrificing from my own reserves, resources, gifts, opportunities? Or am I relying on another to make my sacrifices for me? What sacrifices from my own flocks and herds does God want in my life?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home