Monday, September 13, 2010

The Anatomy of a Sabbath

For about 2 years, I've been on a path of learning about the gift of Sabbath. And I tend to get on a soapbox when talking about it. I hesitate to say it because I'm pretty sure it sounds over the top...but Sabbath has been my saving grace in ministry.

I get asked quite a bit about what I do on Sabbath. The question in and of itself always amuses me because it's such a reflection of our culture. At its core, Sabbath is not about what we do but who we are. But...for whatever its worth...here's what I did today.

I'm experimenting with a new form of Sabbath. One that starts on sundown on Sundays and ends sundown on Mondays. There will be weeks here and there where it shifts, but that's the general spot on the calendar where it lands.

It began with friends, food, and football. That's a form of celebration for me. This morning, I spent 4 hours on my porch connecting with God, reviewing the previous week, and reading the Psalms and John Ortberg's The Me I Want to Be (which I highly recommend). Then, I introduced my friend Jenilee to the movie The Sixth Sense. Sound odd for a day of spiritual discipline? I love the artistry and cinematography of that movie...and that makes me appreciate that God is creative and has made us creative people. Next on the agenda was miniature golf followed by basketball. And we topped off the day picking up some new books and the bookstore and a burger from Five Guys.

What will I do next Sabbath? I have no idea. Whatever I want to do and what brings me closer to God. It usually involves some combination of friends, food, and fun.

5 Comments:

At 11:05 PM, Anonymous Rob said...

I can't remember if it was you or someone else who talked about how 'back in the day,' amongst the things it was illegal to do was to make *anyone else* work on the sabbath. Obviously, not everyone takes their sabbath on the same day, and the culture probably took the whole "let's make rules for the sabbath" thing a bit too far, but do you feel any tension in, say going to 5 guys, and having others do work for you on the sabbath? As someone who really doesn't keep much of sabbath at all, I have absolutely no grounds to speak, but it's a question I've considered when I do try to keep it.

 
At 7:08 AM, Blogger Heather Z said...

Nope. :) The Old Testament principle there was that even people who didn't know God or weren't part of his chosen people would reap the blessings and benefits of Sabbath just by being around Israel. In my context today, I think that principle still finds expression. For instance, my neighbors often join in for cornhole games, fun and discussion on our front porch, and the ridiculous food that is available at our house on that day. People who don't practice Sabbath and/or who don't even have a relationship with Christ still find blessing in being around the Zempel house on Sabbath.

 
At 2:11 PM, Blogger paint_pants said...

Sorry- this has nothing to do with your actual post. I am a bad friend. (although i am glad you are taking sabbath) I noticed that you changed your RSS settings to truncated posts... it's really annoying. i was wondering if you would consider changing it back :( *pouty face*

 
At 8:49 PM, Blogger Heather Z said...

Dear Pouty Face. It is fixed. :) Love you.

 
At 11:30 AM, Anonymous Rob said...

I still see your latest post (recruit the team) truncated in my RSS reader

 

Post a Comment

<< Home