Thursday, March 20, 2008

question #4: Do you expect every person in your church to join a group?

This is the classic question of will you be a church of small groups or a church with small groups. In other words, will the church be the collection of small groups in the church? Or will small groups simply be one ministry opportunity in the church? This goes back to your views of community, discipleship, and evangelism, as well.

This got me into a bit of trouble a few months ago with Bill Donahue, author of Building a Church of Small Groups. I basically said I was tired of this question, totally forgetting that the "of" in the title was specifically addressing this very issue. Regardless of what you decide to do, I'd highly recommend his book. It's still my most recommended book to small group pastors/leaders! (and I'm not just trying to dig out of my hole!)

I don't think there's any one right way to answer this question, but I think it is important that it be considered and answered truthfully because it will affect the way you structure groups, launch groups, train leaders, and talk about groups. It will have tremendous implications on the types of groups you have and what your base model will be.

I blogged a bit on how NCC answered this question here.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home