Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Session 2: The Stages of Faith

Our second main session revolved around a discussion on the "stages of faith" as outlined in the book The Critical Journey by Janet Hagberg. I haven't read the book myself, but I'm adding it to my reading list. From my elementary understanding of it, Hagberg identifies 6 different "faith stages" that we move in and out of at different points along our spiritual journeys. At times, it's a linear progression; at other times, we jump in and out.

The 6 stages are as follows:
  • Recognition of God
  • Life of Discipleship
  • The Productive Life
  • The Journey Inward
  • The Journey Outward
  • The Life of Love
We tried to identify how well we help people grow in and through each of these stages. Then, we tried to identify the stage at which we are currently at.

This framework is really impacting my thinking about discipleship and how groups fit into the faith formation of people. One big question- do we form faith-stage based affinity groups that strategically target people in each stage? Or do we intentionally mix our groups with people from all different stages so they can help each other grow through them. My guess is it's a both/and solution.

If anyone has read this book, I'd love to hear feedback/thoughts/opinions. And it would be helpful to hear some more explanation of each of these stages. I found some more information here.

1 Comments:

At 10:03 PM, Blogger Elaine said...

We're currently developing a definition of faith stages at our church right now! Our model is loosely based on the Willow Creek Reveal study, but I'll have to add that book to my reading list.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home