Saturday, June 28, 2008

One Thousand

I reconnected with an old friend earlier this week. He was a member of the first small group I led at LSU. During those early years of small group leading, I immediately identified him as a potential leader, but he told me he would never, under any circumstances, lead a small group.

But God had other plans in mind.

He became a leader, and before long, he became a leader of leaders. This week, he told me he had recently had a party to celebrate the fact that he was now leading 1,000 young men- junior high kids, high school students, and college students- in small group ministry. One thousand kids in small group ministry under his leadership. That's amazing! I'd love to consider them my spiritual grandkids. But honestly, I didn't have anything to do with it. Julius didn't even have anything to do with it. It's the miracle of God that happens when we dare to invest in one life at a time.

6 Comments:

At 3:18 PM, Blogger Christina Regule said...

well-written and well-done, good and faithful ones!

 
At 5:33 PM, Blogger Chris said...

Hmmm, it must be Destiny! Or way too many games of Mafia. Or the water in Mexico. (I still think we should burn the pic of Julius and I draped on a door frame in Mexico.)

 
At 10:00 PM, Blogger Heather Z said...

Chris- that picture is one of my favorite ever. :)

 
At 6:19 PM, Blogger Uncle Stel said...

Could be the Mexican Coke (as in Cola). Either way, Bro. Jules is a blessing and deserves a deformed five.


Man of Destiny (the short one)

 
At 8:54 PM, Blogger David Zimmerman said...

Heather: Great story. I memed you over at Loud Time, in case you go for that sort of thing.

 
At 7:51 AM, Blogger Heather Z said...

Anthony Kolniak-- where are you? Email me. There's a deformed five with your name on it!

Hey Dave! Good to hear from you! I'll get to that meme soon!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home