Sunday, January 24, 2010

In the Heights


Alright...so here I go on another of my theatre posts. Last weekend, I saw one of my new favorite shows on Broadway: In the Heights. Actually, it's one of the best new shows I've seen in a really long time. Original, funny, creative, and packed with great themes. To be honest, the idea of Latino hip hop culture in Manhattan's Washington Heights neighborhood just didn't appeal to me. I was still pouting the early departure of one of my all-time favorites, Ragtime. Luckily, I have a persistent husband who kept shoving the music down my ear until I relented.

It's a show about identity, community, and dreams, and it ends on such a high note of hopefulness that it is kinda shocking. Especially in the midst of so much theatrical angst and cynicism these days.

If you're in NYC, this one is worth checking out. If you've got teenage kids, it will provide great conversation afterward-- especially if the conversation is over a sour cream apple walnut pie at the Little Pie Company.

1 Comments:

At 4:47 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I saw In The Heights and LOVED it. I moved to DC from NY two years ago. I spent 4 years teaching in Washington Heights so the story was very intriguing to me, and I couldn't agree more with everything you've said. And then you had to go mention the Apple Walnut Pie at the little pie company..one of my favorites!! time for a trip home......

 

Post a Comment

<< Home