Thursday, August 09, 2007

Psalm 119:15

"I will study your commandments and reflect on your ways."

I think this verse reflects two ways to approach God's word- study and meditation. First of all, study. Have I ever really studied the commands of God? I've studied for tests, but have I studied God's word with that kind of intensity? In some seasons of life, yes, and in others, no. In the original Hebrew, this word for meditation carries with it the idea of reciting aloud to oneself. We saw this practice in verse 13.

Reflecting on God's ways. What are the ways of God? We know that his ways are higher than our ways (Isaiah 55:8-9). David connected knowing the ways of God with having hope in life (Psalm 25:4-5) His cry to understand God's ways could be a prayer for me:
Show me your ways, O LORD, teach me your path guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long.

Moses also cried out to know God's ways (Exodus 33:13) in order to find favor with God. In Psalm 86:11, knowing God's ways is connecting to walking in truth.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home