Wednesday, May 21, 2008

The Spark


Just finished reading The Spark (thanks Pastor Chris) about the creativity and innovation in Cirque du Soleil. Here are a few nuggets:

"Creativity is first and foremost about courage."

"Our first idea was almost never our last."

"If you really want to make things happen, you have to be willing to crash."

"The greatest danger is not failing, but getting comfortable."

"It's never my failures that I regret, it's the things I pass up because I'm too scared, too safe."

I loved the way the book focused on the importance of cross-pollinating disciplines, reinventing yourself and your projects, and "dreaming magnificently." At 135 (small) pages, it's a quick and worthwhile read.

4 Comments:

At 12:28 PM, Blogger Ruth said...

I just wanted to thank you for your book reviews, Heather. They're always helpful.

 
At 6:45 PM, Blogger Chris Jarrell said...

This is my favorite book. For whatever reason I felt compelled to give to you to read. I think the whole team should read it.

Chris

 
At 11:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heather - I wish I could have met you at WiBo too. And I'll check out the book - Jan

 
At 9:55 AM, Blogger Beth said...

I'm going to check this out, too! The creative director of Cirque du Soleil is speaking at the Willow arts conference - looking forward to that as well...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home