Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Baseball Cards

From my earliest memories, I was in love with the diamond. The red clay version with chalked lines-- not the one on the ring finger. When I was six, my life dream was to become the first female major league baseball player. I had other dreams, as well, that included NASA and space stations, Shakespeare and the stage, and even for a fleeting second the Olympics and speed skating (don't ask). But baseball is definitely one of the first loves of my life.

When my parents came to visit a few weeks ago, they brought boxes of old baseball cards. I invested a good portion of my day off on Monday going through card by card, looking for good memories and perhaps a discovery that would pay off my mortgage. While I didn't make any significant economic discoveries, I did find some fun things. Including a 1991 Chipper Jones #1 Draft Pick card from ages ago. And family friend Jim Mason, who hit a home run for the Yankees in his only world series appearance. My old heroes Cal Ripken, Jr. and Orel Hershiser. My higher valued cards like Wade Boggs and Don Mattingly rookie cards Lots of old Atlanta Braves and Chicago Cubs cards. Johnny Bench, Pete Rose, Carl Yastzremski, Reggie Jackson, Phil Niekro, Ryne Sandberg, etc.

I was also saddened to look at my wonderful collection of rookie cards from the 90s- Canseco, Bonds, Sheffield, Sosa, McGwire- guys whose records will always be questioned and careers potentially compromised because they didn't finish well.

I could make some profound spiritual points here, I'm sure, but I'll just leave it there.

I also found a 1981 Lyle Alzado football card. And a 1981 Steve Largent card-- which probably is only of interest to those inside the beltway.

4 Comments:

At 9:23 AM, Blogger Laura Mc said...

I wonder how many of those cards are techinically mine, but I took the gum and the Braves players and gave the rest to you?? :o)

 
At 9:25 AM, Blogger Heather Z said...

True, true. I also found some Dukes of Hazzard cards. Those are DEFINITELY yours, right? :)

 
At 9:34 AM, Blogger Chris said...

Ahh, the good old days when collecting cards was for fun and not a business venture. I have boxes of football, basketball and baseball cards that probably aren't worth much but I can't bear to get rid of them.

I must have been a heathen because I remember having a few Garbage Pail Kids cards too. But I'm sure I redeemed myself by having some Star Wars cards or something.

 
At 9:56 AM, Blogger Heather Z said...

Yeah-- I found Star Wars cards, Indiana Jones cards, Wizard of Oz cards, and some sort of Audubon/nature/we love the environment cards.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home