Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Where I've Been

I've been MIA for about a week, so I thought I'd check back in and report on my whereabouts. :) My brother-in-law, Ryan's younger brother, Josh came into town last Wednesday night, and we've been having fun ever since. Josh is 14 years old and one of my best buddies. Here's what we've been doing:

On Thursday, Josh was kind enough to come with me to the church office to help stuff bulletins for the weekend. Then, we headed out to the Capitol lawn to watch the annual Capitol 4th Concert dress rehearsal. Helpful DC Hint: it's better to watch the dress rehearsal on July 3 because it's crowded and crazy at the actual event on July 4.

On Friday, we joined up with some friends on the Capitol Mall to watch the fireworks. We set up base camp at noon, but wound up living as a nomadic tribe for the next 9 hours as we ventured from Mall to Hirshhorn Museum overhang and back and forth again to escape the rain. Thank goodness for the quick thinking of Bekah Kitterman to get us a dry spot.

On Saturday, we did nothing. That's right, nothing. Well, I did some work around the house and Ryan and Josh watched some movies. Oh yeah, and then we scared the neighbors with some karaoke. And that was it.

Sunday was church, and then we joined up with some theatre geek friends to go see the ridiculously talented Genevieve Williams in All Shook Up at Toby's Dinner Theatre.

Yesterday, I took Josh to Hershey Park. I don't like roller coasters. They make me feel sick and queasy just thinking about them and typing about them. But I am slowly building my coaster courage. I actually worked up the nerve to ride The Great Bear-- one of those terrible inverted coasters with loops and junk. Whew. I was proud of myself. There's probably a spiritual principle in there somewhere, but I'm too tired to dig it out.

So yeah...that's where I've been. I'll be in and out over the next week.

3 Comments:

At 2:07 AM, Blogger Jill Harris said...

Heather:
I am reading Mark's Lion/Pit with enthusiasm, am a leader in a new church plant, and landed at your blog through another when searching for small group stuff. Q: obviously NCC is "doing" groups well. Do you utilize a traditional "mulitply and divide" model? If not, what is your approach (nutshell). Thank you!

 
At 7:49 AM, Blogger Heather Z said...

Hey Jill- so good to have you on the blog. In general, no. Some of our groups are traditional "grow, multiply, and divide," but many of them are started by pioneering or launching a leader or a core group from existing groups. Our model is probably best described as "semester-based free market," though we've tweaked it quite a bit for our unique culture.

Here's an FAQ with lots of info about how we do groups and the theology/philosophy behind it:
http://discipleshipgroups.blogspot.com/2007/06/frequently-asked-questions.html

 
At 12:27 PM, Blogger Jill Harris said...

Fantastic, Heather!
Thank you for your quick response-what a treasure-trove that FAQ link is. I'm already sharing it with our groups point leader. As a new plant, we have the rare opportunity to "create" the group DNA...I had it in my mind that the apprentice/mulitply/divide thing was not the way to go for us. Your blog/discussion/example is encouraging! I'll continue reading no doubt!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home