Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Christmas on the iPod- Winter Kirk


I love Christmas music. Since I won't allow myself to listen to it before Thanksgiving, there is a ritual roll-out of the Christmas tunes over Thanksgiving weekend.

Here's one I'll put on your radar screen; it's likely the best Christmas recording you've never heard of. Winter Kirk by Smithfield Fair. This Baton Rouge-based Celtic ensemble has been a favorite since I first heard them perform at the Student Union at Louisiana State University in the mid-90's.

Winter Kirk is a collection of sacred songs that they have performed at the Kirking of the Tartans, Christmas services, and other religious holidays. The song "Lord of the Highlands," written by Dudley-Brian Smith, is one of my favorites (listening to it now!).

I would travel long miles to see these good folks perform, and I'm so glad I can carry them around with me on my iPod. Get it here.

3 Comments:

At 4:04 PM, Blogger regena sawyer said...

You failed to mention that we were fortunate enough to have them sing and play at Ryan's and your wedding reception. Any reader who is interested in Scottish, Celtic, or folk music should check out this group. They have a number of CDs available at Amazon, etc., or on their web page. Check them out. Just google Smithfield Fair. Their music is GREAT. Heather will tell you that I am their biggest fan.

 
At 5:24 PM, Blogger Heather Z said...

Yes, Mom is the biggest fan.

 
At 9:35 AM, Blogger Shannon said...

I downloaded this album yesterday and have enjoyed listening to it! Thanks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home