Core Discipleship Group Curriculum
In a previous post, I discussed our strategy for choosing curriculum for our small groups. In short, we give individual leaders the freedom to choose the curriculum that they consider to be most appropriate for their group.
However, in addition to the dozens of small groups that meet all around the DC-metro area, we have a set of "core discipleship groups." These are the groups that we have selected strategically as intentional growth opportunities for a person who is trying to chart a course of discipleship. We believe every NCCer would benefit from participating in these groups, and we have highlighted them on our Discipleship Map. Some of these groups use published curriculum; others use curriculum that we have developed here at NCC. The following is a breakdown.
We use the standard video-based Alpha curriculum available at www.alphausa.org.
We use an 8-week curriculum that we developed at NCC.
- Spiritual Experiments- we use an 8-week curriculum that we developed at NCC.
- Holy Spirit Encounter- we use Plugged Into God's Power by Doug Beacham.
- Upward Bound Retreat- we use curriculum that we developed at NCC.
- The Story- we use a 3-week curriculum that we developed at NCC.
- Old Testament Survey- we use Lifeway's Step by Step Through the Old Testament.
- New Testament Survey- we use Lifeway's Step by Step Through the New Testament.
- Bible Study Methods- we use our own curriculum, but it is based heavily in Rick Warren's book of the same title, Bible Study Methods.
- Theology 101- we use a 7-week curriculum that we developed at NCC. Some of the books I used in its development are listed here. In future versions of the course, we will likely use Who Needs Theology and Across the Spectrum as supplementary texts. A summary of our curriculum is available here.
- Neigborhoods and Nations- we use a 12-week curriculum that we developed at NCC.
- Leadership 101- we use a 3-hour curriculum that we developed at NCC.
- Missions Adventure- every missions trip team prepares within a small group environment. Each team leader chooses a book that is most appropriate for that trip or team.
- Portfolio- we are in the process of developing this curriculum now.
- Crown Financial- we use the resources available from Crown Financial Ministries.