Thursday, May 29, 2008

Jesus' Prayer for Community

We are launching our summer small group semester this weekend, and I'll be speaking at our weekend services on the topic of community. It's been a while since we've done a very back-to-basics why community is important teaching focus. I've been talking to lots of folks- NCCers, leaders, small group members, etc- to get their thoughts and perspectives on community.

I've also been spending a lot of time in John 17, Jesus' last prayer before his betrayal and arrest. Matthew, Mark, and Luke record Jesus' famous prayer, "Father, if it is possible, let this cup of suffering be taken away from me. Yet I want your will, not mine."(NLT) But John gives us a different window into Jesus' final hours. One in which he is praying not for himself, but for his followers: "I am praying not only for these disciples, but also for all who will ever believe in me because of their testimony. My prayer for all of them is that they will be one..." (NLT)

Jesus' final prayer was for community for his followers. Is it possible, that when we come together in community, we are given the unique opportunity to be an answer to Jesus' prayer?

1 Comments:

At 11:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

that's a really fun thought - thanks - i really needed it tonight

 

Post a Comment

<< Home