Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Control Issues


I finally figured out why I detest roller coasters. My rabid fear of them has always been something of a mystery to me because some of my previous life goals included fighter jet pilot and astronaut. So it's not the physical sensation. I took enough engineering classes to understand the ridiculous levels of safety controls that are added to these systems, so it's not a concern about losing life and limb. I enjoy rock climbing, white water rafting, and I wouldn't mind bungee jumping, so it's not a fear of danger.

But for whatever reason, roller coasters have always made my stomach queasy whenever I think about them or talk about them. Much less get on them. This week, I think I figured it out.

It's a control issue.

When I got strapped into one of those awful, inverted coasters on Monday, it hit me. This is it. Whatever is going to happen is going to happen. And there is absolutely nothing I can do about it but sit tight and go for the ride. I have no control. The only thing I have control over in the situation is my attitude.

Riding roller coasters isn't the only area of my life where I'm trying to remain at the control panel. And I'm probably missing all kinds of experiences and opportunities as a result. Running after the Holy Spirit requires that we relinquish some of the control that we so desperately want to hold onto. I think this might be a great opportunity for me to examine the areas in my life that I have not completely surrendered to the Jesus.

2 Comments:

At 7:34 PM, Blogger Shannon said...

Roller coasters are fun! Do you remember our first time white water rafting when you fell out of the raft and scared me to death and I had to get out?!

 
At 8:39 AM, Blogger Heather Z said...

LOL! Yes, I remember that. Though it wasn't my first time white water rafting. I'd been down the Ocoee at least twice before. Never saw anyone fall out. It was actually kinda fun!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home