Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Frustration

I'm frustrated today. Pounding my fist on the table frustrated. One of my biggest frustrations is seeing people not fulfilling their potential, and that's where my brain is focused today. Sometimes, that's the result of their own laziness or lack of investment. Often, it's a lack of clear vision or direction. Sometimes, it's just the season of life or circumstances. I'm well aware of the seasonal thing-- sometimes we are just carrots overwintering in the ground so that our potential comes to full ripeness and reproducibility (if you don't know what the heck I'm talking about, remind me to tell you the carrot tale). And we've got to be patient and let God prepare our hearts for the ways he wants to use us. But it's still frustrating.

I view my role to be at least partially about helping people discover and step into their God-given destinies, and I need the discernment to know when to encourage and when to kick butt. When to ask catalytic questions and when to suggest slowing down and working on character. When to intentionally and strategically create opportunities and when to just shut up, sit down, and pray.

That's all raw and unfiltered, and I'm not sure what to do with it or what the point of this post is. It's just the overwhelming thought that's driving my prayers today.

6 Comments:

At 9:24 PM, Blogger Elaine said...

YES! I hate watching someone choose the lesser path, especially when they're buying into some lie.

 
At 7:00 AM, Blogger Ruth said...

from your last two posts, I'm guessing that the Holy Spirit is shifting something deep inside of you. Give it some time, my friend!

 
At 7:59 AM, Blogger Heather Z said...

Interesting, Ruth. I'll have to think through that. Not so much me, I don't think, as much as it's some of the amazing people I have the privilege of leading. But usually God takes me through whatever he wants to communicate to those I lead.

 
At 9:19 AM, Blogger Randall Neighbour said...

Boy howdy, that's how I feel a lot of the time...

but it's about myself, not so much with others!

I have so much more potential that I simply ignore due to a lack of focus and self-determination. If I actually worked hard for 8 hours a day instead of reading friend's blogs, I'd realize so much more with my life!

Opps. Better get back to work :)

 
At 9:19 AM, Blogger Randall Neighbour said...

Boy howdy, that's how I feel a lot of the time...

but it's about myself, not so much with others!

I have so much more potential that I simply ignore due to a lack of focus and self-determination. If I actually worked hard for 8 hours a day instead of reading friend's blogs, I'd realize so much more with my life!

Opps. Better get back to work :)

 
At 10:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There are a lot of angles and parts to this challenge/frustration. It is one where Sharon and I both have had to address situations on several sides of this and usually go to those closest to us for counsel or simply for a friendly ear to talk out the situation and let God speak through them. I think this is frustrating both for those in leadership and those that are hungry to grow in leadership.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home